Monday, October 8, 2012

I'm back! (Again)

Sorry that I haven't posted for a while. I'll try to keep up.

I have decided, after reviewing the shortcomings of the previous platform (most notably that it doesn't support interrupts), to go with a different architecture. I apologize to all that came from the TECS forum and I promise that I will eventually write a Hack emulator.

In lieu of the Hack microarchitecture, I am going to use a 6502-based microcoded architecture.  For those who don't know, the 6502 is an 8-bit microprocessor that was very popular in its day.  I have a very nice design for the microarchitecture I just made about 30 minutes ago that fits into a 24-bit horizontal microcode.

I am also going to call a halt to all hardware until I inventory my already-owned chips, design schematics, and simulate them successfully.  To that extent, I am learning how to use Logisim by designing a test 8-bit SUBLEQ computer.  After that, I will need to design simulations of each individual MSI chip, then combine them in my simulation.

While I haven't posted in a while, I've been doing some thinking about the capabilities of the HM. I am designing a paging system and I/O extenders.

See you (hopefully) soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment